Thursday, November 12, 2009

Mgt Philosopher Russell Ackoff

As I opened my WSJ Wednesday morning, I saw the obituary of Russell Ackoff, a business professor at the Wharton School of Business. His model for teaching business education was "no curriculum, no classes, no examinations, no admission requirements -- only exit requirements." Wow what a fantastic idea. Too bad so few business schools actually believe in this. I see many in the field of business education to be very conservative when it come to thinking outside of the box in teaching concepts. The model of lecturing as teaching is dying. Why can't this be seen by the administrators of universities?

Testing in a holistic manner would get the concepts of business across so much better then simply a lecture. Perhaps teaming up with a local business and applying MBA concepts such as marketing, finance, and organizational function in the field would be so much more interesting then doing same thing I did as an undergrad.

WSJ.com link

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Joe. I need to subscribe to WSJ again.

    You can't take thinking "outside the box" for granted. Like Angie said, we were never in the box.

    I approached the former dean about a consulting semester for area businesses like these B-schools are doing but he never got back to me. Maybe Dean Hall would be interested.

    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123498013294814227.html

    ReplyDelete